Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Faith Friday- Routine

Call me anal, but there is just something about the word routine that makes me giddy.



As a teacher, I know that a classroom routine and management plan are the first things to address during the first weeks (MONTHS) of school because they are important for having a well-run classroom.
As a mother, I know that a daily routine for getting ready for school, cleaning up messes, going to bed, cleaning the house, etc. is equally important for having a well-run home.

But, as a child of God, sometimes I forget how important routine is to having a well-run relationship with Him.

In college, I always got upset with my friends who all seemed to be struggling with "righteous sins".  You know what I'm talking about.

Time-warp back to college: 


I'm having a deep heart-to-heart with some girlfriends and someone 'confesses'-
"I'm really struggling with my faith right now."

Shock and awe. Not this friend! It must be something serious! She continues...

"I just haven't found time lately for God. I only pray twice a day, and haven't found time to be in Scripture in TWO DAYS!" (and she bursts into tears)

Are you flippin' kidding me? Not to go into detail, but I had some pretty big issues in college, and here this bright-eyed, bushy-tailed thing comes to me in tears because she hasn't opened her Bible in 48 hours?! REALLY?!

Binge drinking, sleeping around, raves, cursing like sailors... now those are sins worthy of tears. (side note- I wasn't into any of that, just trying to make a point)
I'm sad to say that I totally wrote this off. I figured if you were in college, and the only thing you have to confess is that your Bible might have a dust mote sitting on it, well then, you're doing just fine.

Back to present day:

Looking back, I can see that it wasn't the fact that her Bible remained unopened for a short time that caused her distress, it was that she had taken her routine with God for granted. She felt she had allowed other distractions get in her way. In college, that's pretty easy to do. Classes, projects, research, eating, sleeping, friends, etc... it's understandable. Not excusable, but understandable.

In real life it's even harder. Look at The Kid.


Do you realize that he expects to be fed on a daily basis? He also needs his clothes cleaned, himself cleaned, homework done, socialization and play time, lots of hugs and kisses, chores done, adequate sleep, doctor visits, haircuts.... YOU NAME IT! He's a busy guy!

And yet, The Kid has a routine that includes his Heavenly Father. He enjoys praying before he eats. He loves to sing church songs from Wee Worship with his brother and sister. (who also expect food regularly) He reads from his Jesus Book and will tell you that: Moses was a baby, and he loved God, and then there was Jesus. (We're working on it)



And he prays for his family during his bed time prayers. If you're lucky you'll make it into his ever-growing list of people who need praying for. :)


At the age of 5, The Kid has a routine. The topic of prayer and Bible passage changes, but his heart is where it needs to be.


I'm ashamed to say that I can not make the same claim. I let life get in my way far too often. Dust motes? Heck, my Bible by my bed has a layer of dust sitting in it! And sun spots! (cause it's under a window, you know) I use my Kindle during church but forget to pack a notepad to take notes on the sermon- which is a real shame since the series lately has been excellent.

But do you see my point? I'm not making the effort to put God into my daily routine the way I should.
I. Suck.
Luckily for me, this problem is easily fixed. I can open my Bible. I can pray more than just before meals and bed. I can speak my heart for God and not just what's on my mind at the time. I can do more.

And best of all- God understands. He's not going to accept my excuses, and I know better than to try to give them, but He is going to cheer me on when I start doing what He wants me to. I can't ask for more than that. :)


Psalm 139:14

New International Version (NIV)
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, 
    I know that full well.


No comments:

Post a Comment