Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Hide and Seek Meatloaf

I'm not a veggie eater, I'm more of a fruit lover. Hubby on the other hand, loves his veggies and only likes apples from the fruit category. Our kids are a wonderful combination of the two of us. Of course, it helps if you can't tell what veggies are being eaten.

This is my recipe for meatloaf that I use to hide veggies. I know everyone likes his/ her own meatloaf recipe a different way, but this one works for us!

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 cup oats
1 egg
meatloaf seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Tobasco sauce (not pictured)
veggies of your choice 
( we like carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower)

*********************************************************************

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Thaw meat
3. Puree chosen veggies. 
We used carrots (a whole can of sliced carrots) and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

4. Mix the thawed ground beef and turkey, pureed veggies, 1/4 cup dry oats, 1 egg, meatloaf seasoning, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce and tobasco- all in a large mixing bowl. 

A real Southern woman would use her hands, but I'm a wuss and use a slotted spoon. I try to not touch raw meat. Eeeewwwww. 

5. Place meatloaf mixture into a baking dish.
If you like tomato sauce or ketchup on your meatloaf, this would be the time to add it to the top.

I love this dish from Pampered Chef. It helps with portion control and we have perfect sized left-overs!

6. Bake at 350 for 1 hour


We eat our meatloaf with rice or a size of veggies. (For those in my house not scared of vegetables) The only veggie I've tried to hide and it didn't work was peas. They made the meatloaf gritty. 

A friend of mine says she uses a box of Stove Top dressing instead of oats and meatloaf seasoning. 

I haven't tried it, but it's something to consider!


No comments:

Post a Comment