Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Faith Friday- The Secret of Song


Ephesians 5:19

New International Version (NIV)
19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,...

** I've always heard songs of the Spirit referred to as being Spiritual Songs. I like that better!** 

I've always thought that life would be much happier if we all would sporadically burst out in song and well choreographed dance. 

And how much better would it be to share the love of Jesus as well? 

 Think about it- I see someone I know in the grocery story and I want to share with them the wonderful sale I found in the produce section. Bring on a song about the Fruits of the Spirit- bananas are on sale!



Confrontations would take on a new light when we sing The Greatest Commands to the person we feel has wronged us.  


I've found myself singing in my head while driving down the road or doing the dishes. Personally, I love my Glee CDs from my sister. I'm not a big fan of the show, but those kids sure have some talent!
Most of the songs that Glee covers is recent pop songs, with a lot of Journey thrown in for good measure. The songs aren't all good, but they're not necessarily all bad either.

 I love be-bopping down the highway with my CDs cranked, singing at the top of my lungs. However, it's a little disconcerting when I hear my precious angel blessing (that would be my kids) sing, " Don't be a drag, just be a queen!" which is from a Lady Gaga song that Glee covered. 

Do they understand it? No. 
Does that make a difference when they sing it at the top of their lungs in the middle of Walmart? No. People are going to look at them and me and wonder. 

This is the song that my kids have been singing lately: We Are Young (this is the Glee version)

Hubby and 2 of the kids went on a baseball trip recently and this song came on the radio frequently. They came home singing the whole thing. Here's proof.


Yeah, it's cute and entertaining, but it's not the best song in the world for my 5 and 3 year olds to be singing. 

If we treated the verse above literally, then everything that comes from my mouth should be a song (which I love!) and should serve the purpose of encouraging and teaching others. 
I don't do that. Let's be honest, I don't thing anyone does that. It would look a little weird and might freak some people out. 

But the truth is even deeper. If the words from my mouth are a song to the Lord, that means that my thoughts are as well. I'd be constantly searching my mind for the perfect verse or song that would complement the situation at hand. 

So, I'm going to challenge myself to 3 things:
1. Listen to more uplifting music- I do have a plethora of Christian music. I should listen to it more!
2. Study more of scripture. I bet I can make songs myself! I do it all the time in my classroom and for my kids when we are practicing learning our verses.
3. Break out in song more frequently. Let's face it, I'm not easily embarrassed. I make a fool of myself in front of my students and kids All. The. Time! I shouldn't worry so much about what others think. Also, I'm pretty good at the song game. (When you think of a verse from a song that matches what someone just said) Why not play it with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs?

Who's willing to play the game with me?

** I just love this song and wanted to share it!**

1 comment:

  1. You are right--there is so much fun-to-sing age appropriate music out there for kids. I love to hear those little voices raised in exuberant song!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete