Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Crockpot Vegetable Soup

Hubby is attempting to ride the healthy train, so I decided it was time I bought a ticket too. Lately Hubby has been eating steamed veggies for dinner, with a small side of whatever I made for the main meal. Well, this time he can have a big bowl and not feel guilty!

This was my second attempt at making veggie soup in the crockpot. My first attempt was part of a school activity with my students, and you can check out that post {HERE} on my school blog. I gotta say, I think the first attempt was better, but the second was still pretty dang good!

2 cans carrots
2 cans corn
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can green beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can chicken broth 
(or use a can of tomato soup if you want it completely vegetarian)
chopped onions
basil
oregano
garlic powder

I used 2 cans of veggies that my family likes, and obviously your family might like different veggies, so use the veggies your family will eat!
I chose the spices based on what you'd find in spaghetti sauce- since I know those spices go together. 

1. Open cans (all)
2. Drain the carrots, corn, green beans, and kidney beans
* You don't have to drain them all, but we like a thicker soup.*
3. Dump all cans into crockpot and add spices to taste
4. Cook (high or low)


I added Alphabet noodles the last 30 min of cook time. If you add pasta do it toward the end.

It was yummy and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment